1053: Ten Thousand
Title text: Saying 'what kind of an idiot doesn't know about the Yellowstone supervolcano' is so much more boring than telling someone about the Yellowstone supervolcano for the first time.
This is certainly a great approach to take with someone that doesn't know something, rather than taking the "idiot" approach. For all those who haven't yet seen the Diet Coke and Mentos eruption: here is a Mythbusters video, and a music video (Pork and Beans by Weezer) with excessive eruptions. The Mentos eruption is mentioned in a previous strip 346: Diet Coke+Mentos.
The rate 10,000 per day of hearing about it for the first time is just the birth rate of 4,000,000 per year divided by 365 days. The target age of thirty years is irrelevant on these numbers. For easier calculations let's compare the targets 10 and 100 years:
- 10 years: 1,000 people in each age of one to ten years have to learn so everybody would know it by the age of ten.
- 100 years: The rate per age is less and only 100 people in the age from one to hundred years have to get the picture.
Because the birth rate is assumed to be constant it would happen every year, exactly the amount of new born of people have to learn, but the target age isn't important. And this assumes also that really everybody would get it, which is a little bit unrealistic.
The title text emphasizes that explaining something to a person who doesn't know about is much better than just expressing annoyance about that missing knowledge. Just explain your knowledge to other people.
- I try not to make fun of people for admitting they don't know things.
- Because for each thing "everyone" knows by the time they're adults", every day there are, on average, 10,000 people in the US hearing about it for the first time.
- Fraction who have heard of it at birth = 0%
- Fraction who have heard of it by 30 ≈ 100%
- US birth rate ≈ 4,000,000/year
- Number hearing about it for the first time ≈ 10,000/day
- If I make fun of people, I train them not to tell me when they have those moments. And I miss out on the fun.
- Megan: "Diet coke and Mentos thing"? What's that?
- Cueball: Oh man! come on, we're going to the grocery store.
- Megan: Why?
- Cueball: You're one of today's lucky 10,000.