322: Pix Plz
Title text: But one of the regulars in the channel is a girl!
| This explanation may be incomplete or incorrect: The behave of the man (Cueball) must be better explained..|
If you can address this issue, please edit the page! Thanks.
Though this comic predates it, there is a meme (also known as Rule 16 or Rule 30 of the Internet) that states there are no girls on the Internet. This comes partly from a stigma that girls are too stupid to go on the Internet, and partly that they are afraid of such a male-dominated subculture. The puerile nature of the Internet creates a repulsive force because of exactly what Cueball is doing. As soon as anyone claims to be a female online there will invariably be a slew of "tits or gtfo" replies.
IRC is the acronym for Internet Relay Chat. It is a protocol that eventually evolved into the instant messengers, chat rooms, and XMPP (formerly Jabber) servers around today. With the advent of live-streaming video online, IRC channels are making a come-back as a way for hosts and audiences to communicate with each other in real-time.
An EMP is an electromagnetic pulse that will disrupt electronics from functioning normally. An EMP is an unusual spike in voltage. Small EMPs will disrupt electricity momentarily, larger EMPs are capable of burning out circuitry.
For the record, the assertion that "there are no girls on the Internet" has become completely false in the six years since this comic was first posted. The phrase still finds use, but as a warning rather than a supposed fact.
- [Black Hat stands in the entrance to a room. The door has been broken down. A surprised Cueball has turned away from his computer to face the remains of the door.]
- Black Hat: Hi. I'm here about the girl who visited your IRC channel last night looking for Java help.
- Cueball: What did you do to my door?
- Black Hat: When someone with a feminine username joins your community and you say "OMG a woman on the Internet" and 'jokingly' ask for naked pics, you are being an asshole. You are not being ironic. You are not cracking everybody up. You are the number one reason women are so rare on the Internet.
- Black Hat: At least, the parts of it you frequent.
- [Ponytail enters the room, holding some sort of device.]
- Black Hat: As someone who likes nerdy girls, I do not appreciate this. I'm here to ban you from the Internet. The gal behind me with the EMP cannon is Joanna - she'll be assigned to you for the next year. Try to go online and she'll melt your PC.
- Cueball: Dude, she's hot. Is she single?
- Black Hat: Joanna, fire.