405: Journal 3
Title text: Oh, and, uh, if the Russian government asks, that submarine was always there.
In Journal 1, Black Hat explains to Cueball that a hobby of his is to pretend to write in a journal while on the subway, acting embarrassed if anyone sees. He then proceeds to silently scorn the person once they give him any kind of reassurance.
In Journal 2, however, Danish sees through his ruse. She counteracts it by proving that she understands him, and attempts to resign him to the fact that he will never see her again, thus robbing him of the satisfaction of a proper social connection. She leaves, taking his hat in the process.
Initially stunned, Black Hat seems to have quickly recovered and tracked Danish down, even to the ends of the earth. He tells Danish that although she was able to read him brilliantly, she miscalculated one minor detail. We are led to believe that this is some mistake in the covering of her tracks, but then he explains that it was simply how much he values his hat. This way he gets back at her. She thought that he would mourn the loss of her - the only person who understands him - but he deflates her ego when claiming that he likes his hat (implicitly saying that he doesn't care for her). The series continues in 432: Journal 4.
The title text continues the theme of Black Hat's superhuman ability to troll and to avoid the consequences: If Black Hat stole a military submarine, said military is probably going to be hot on his tail, but he writes it off with: "just tell them it was always here", as if it is no big deal. Black Hat will even be blamed for stealing the submarine in 496: Secretary: Part 3.
It is perhaps an interesting point that this comic includes the line "So, you found me after all," given that the previous comic number xkcd 404 was skipped, leading instead to an HTTP 404 Not Found error page.
The whole "Journal" story arc:
- [Two women ice-skating outside.]
- Ponytail: Wait up!
- Danish (wearing Black Hat's Hat): Skate faster!
- [Danish sees cracking ice.]
- Crack Crack
- [Danish on chunk of ice broken off.]
- Crack Rumble
- [Submarine dorsal fin emerging.]
- [Black Hat (minus hat) coming out of hatch.]
- Black Hat: Hi.
- Black Hat: That's my hat you're wearing.
- Danish (wearing Black Hat's Hat): So, you found me after all.
- Black Hat (out of frame): You didn't make it easy.
- Black Hat: You saw through me, all right. But not quite well enough.
- Black Hat: Because if you wanted to stay lost forever, you made one mistake
- [Black Hat climbing out of hatch.]
- [Black Hat sliding down a sheet of ice.]
- [Black Hat snatches hat from Danish's head as he slides by on the ice.]
- [Black Hat skidding to a stop and putting hat back on his head.]
- Black Hat: You took my hat.
- Black Hat: I LIKE my hat.
- [Black Hat walking away.]
- [Danish left standing.]
add a comment! ⋅ refresh comments!