Title text: As the King of All Cosmos remarked, 'Is it that it's fun, or that it lets you forget yourself?'
Katamari Damacy is a Japanese game in which the player must roll around an infinitely sticky katamari ball, cottoning up objects and terrain to increase the ball's size. In this comic, Cueball uses the katamari as an analogy for his love for Megan, pushing it to such embarrassing extremes that Megan feels the need to remark whether he could "possibly get any gayer." At this point, Cueball wins the level he is playing and is transported by a "Royal Rainbow," an in-game occurrence at the completion of each level. The rainbow is a symbol of gay pride, in addition to being just a generally happy and "gay" idea.
Cueball also only takes up such a stand after Megan requests that he help her. This is possibly a criticism of male selfishness (perhaps Randall's self-criticism), in that males do not discuss romantic ideas, except as a way out.
The King of All Cosmos, mentioned in the title text, is an instructive character in all of the Katamari games. The title text points out that perhaps we like video games not because they are fun, but because they let us forget what is on our mind and become engrossed with the task.
The game is also subject of 161: Accident.
- [Megan stands on the left. Cueball is sitting on the floor with a game controller in his hand. He is looking at a TV on the floor connected to a game console, also on the floor.]
- Megan: Can you pause for a moment and help me with something?
- Cueball: You know, our love is like a katamari. We travel along, rolling up more and more of the world into our shared experience, taking it and making it our own.
- Megan: I, you... wow. Geekiness aside, that was actually incredibly sweet.
- Cueball: The clutter of everyday life, with a simple core to tie it together, eventually becomes something grand as the world itself.
- [A rainbow extends outward from the TV, with "ROYAL RAINBOW!" above it.]
- Megan: Okay, also sweet, but now I'm wondering if you could possibly get any gayer.
add a comment! ⋅ add a topic (use sparingly)! ⋅ refresh comments!