1241: Annoying Ringtone Champion
|Annoying Ringtone Champion|
Title text: It beat out 'Clock radio alarm', 'B-flat at 194 decibels', 'That noise from Dumb & Dumber', and 'Recording of a sobbing voice begging you to answer'.
This comic satirizes the variety of ringtones that may be used on their cell phones. While many are simply tunes that personalize a user's phone, some will use ringtones that resemble everyday sounds, such as doorbells, coughing, alarm noises, or in this case, the buzzing of a mosquito. Although rather innocuous, these ringtones can get very annoying to some people, which is what this comic is getting at.
The title text refers to four other annoying ringtones, apparently none of which were deemed as annoying as a mosquito buzzing:
- "Clock radio alarm". These sounds are often loud and annoying, just to ensure that you really will wake up.
- "B-flat at 194 decibels". B-flat is a musical note with a pitch of 466.16 Hz. 194 decibels is the limit at 1 atmosphere pressure. More energy would create a shockwave. This could also be a reference to a crowd of vuvuzelas as they also produce sounds pitched around B flat. This may also refer to several B-flat-related phenomena discussed in an NPR story, Have You Heard About B Flat? Specifically, B-flat has been found to agitate alligators, and waves passing through gas near a black hole have been found to resonate at a frequency which results in a B flat 57 octaves below middle C. Regardless of all this, a sound played as loud as 194 dB is quite literally deafening, so the ringtone would be not so much annoying as dangerous.
- "That noise from Dumb & Dumber". Dumb and Dumber is a comedy movie from 1994. The noise from Dumb & Dumber is referring to the point in the movie when Harry and Lloyd asked, "Do you want to hear the most annoying sound in the world?" and began shrieking in imitation of a loud fax machine.
- "Recording of a sobbing voice begging you to answer". Self-explanatory. Such a ringtone is obviously disruptive and potentially worrying to those in the vicinity of the phone.
- Ringtone: hmmmmmmmMMMMMmmmmmmm
- Cueball: (cringing and raising his arms) AUGH!
- Black Hat: (pulls out phone) Oh, I've gotta take this.
- By unanimous decision, the winner of the Awful Ringtone Championship is "the sound a mosquito makes as it buzzes past your ear".