Explain xkcd: It's 'cause you're dumb.
Welcome to the explain xkcd wiki!
We have collaboratively explained 5 xkcd comics,
and only 1898
remain. Add yours while there's a chance!
Go to this comic explanation
|| This explanation may be incomplete or incorrect: Created by Randall Munroe - Please change this comment when editing this page. Do NOT delete this tag too soon.|
In this comic, Beret Guy takes his bun shenanigans to the state government, reporting to the governor that the number of buns around the capitol has shown a rapid increase. The governor is confused, then finally comes to grasp that Beret Guy is talking about rabbits, lots of which can be seen if he would just go outside (by the way, there is small one RIGHT NOW!).
The governor finally takes appropriate action by calling security, and Beret Guy confronts his fate with poise and honor.
"Buns" have been mentioned previously in 1682: Bun and 1871: Bun Alert.
Discussion of previous Bun comics (1682: Bun and 1871: Bun Alert) has suggested that "bun" might be a reference to or wordplay on another meaning of "bun," a small bread product or even buttocks. The governor asks (in the second panel) if Beret Guy means rabbits, and gets an affirmative response. This would seem to clarify that "buns" really are rabbits in all three comics.
|| This transcript is incomplete. Please help editing it! Thanks.
- [Beret Guy holds a stick and points at a board next to him. The board contains a picture of a rabbit, a data point graph and other notes.]
- Beret Guy: Good morning, Governor. Our tracking systems show a rapid increase in the number of buns around the Capitol.
- [Hairy is sitting at an office desk and facing Beret Guy in a frameless panel.]
- Hairy: Buns?
- Beret Guy: Yes; there's been a long-term upward trend, but it has accelerated recently.
- Hairy: The trend in... rabbits.
- Beret Guy: Yes.
- [Beret Guy takes out his phone.]
- Hairy: So... so what?
- Beret Guy: So if you want to see some buns, there are lots of them outside!
- Beret Guy: Ooh!
- Beret Guy: There's a small one right now!
- [Zoom-in on Beret Guy.]
- Hairy (offscreen): Do you... actually work for me?
- Beret Guy: Almost certainly. We had an election, right? I wrote my name in on the thing.
- Hairy (offscreen): Security?
- Beret Guy: It's been an honor to serve.
Is this out of date? .
Lots of people contribute to make this wiki a success. Many of the recent contributors, listed above, have just joined. You can do it too! Create your account here
You can read a brief introduction about this wiki at explain xkcd. Feel free to sign up for an account and contribute to the wiki! We need explanations for comics, characters, themes, memes and everything in between. If it is referenced in an xkcd web comic, it should be here.
- List of all comics contains a complete table of all xkcd comics so far and the corresponding explanations. The red links (like this) are missing explanations. Feel free to help out by creating them! Here's how.
Don't be a jerk. There are a lot of comics that don't have set in stone explanations; feel free to put multiple interpretations in the wiki page for each comic.
If you want to talk about a specific comic, use its discussion page.
Please only submit material directly related to —and helping everyone better understand— xkcd... and of course only submit material that can legally be posted (and freely edited.) Off-topic or other inappropriate content is subject to removal or modification at admin discretion, and users who repeatedly post such content will be blocked.
If you need assistance from an admin, feel free to leave a message on their personal discussion page. The list of admins is here.