1408: March of the Penguins
|March of the Penguins|
Title text: You ARE getting older, though.
| This explanation may be incomplete or incorrect: Very basic explanation. Could use some fleshing out.|
If you can address this issue, please edit the page! Thanks.
Many of the xkcd comics outline ways to make people feel older by referencing various pieces of popular culture that are outdated or feel like they happened a long time ago (for instance, 1393: Timeghost). This seems to be what Black Hat is doing as he walks in on Megan to announce that all the penguins from March of the Penguins (a 2005 documentary about emperor penguins) are dead. Megan is familiar with these sorts of antics, and so, frustrated, she simply acknowledges Black Hat's statement by agreeing that everyone is aging. Black Hat, however, reveals that he is not trying to make her feel old, he is announcing that he has killed the penguins, and is "trying to apologize". This obviously gives the situation a much darker tone, especially since Black Hat is likely not truly apologizing, as he is very unapologetic in his "classhole" tendencies.
- [Black Hat walks in, Megan is at a desk]
- Black Hat: All the birds from March of the Penguins are now dead.
- Megan: OK, I get it. We're all aging.
- Black Hat: What? No. I'm not trying to make you feel old. They were alive last night. I'm trying to apologize.
- Megan: Oh God
add a comment! ⋅ add a topic (use sparingly)! ⋅ refresh comments!
Isn't it Danish not Megan? 18.104.22.168 05:30, 15 August 2014 (UTC)
- No, Danish has longer hair. 22.214.171.124 05:37, 15 August 2014 (UTC)
That is a good point on the point for "Is it Danish, or Megan?", but Danish would have probably helped Black Hat kill the penguins. Another thing to add is Danish won't react like that, but Megan would be more likely. -Swaphero
- Also, if it were Danish, she would have a good come back for black hat. 126.96.36.199 13:54, 15 August 2014 (UTC)BK
Would Movie Ages (http://www.xkcd.com/891) be just as pertinent, if not more so, than Timeghost? Should we include a reference to it in the explanation? 188.8.131.52 14:08, 15 August 2014 (UTC)DBrak
- Good idea. I think we should, so I've included that reference now.
--Das-g (talk) 14:42, 15 August 2014 (UTC)
This is totally off-topic, but I can't help myself. I remember reading somewhere that the film was made by a French team (I think) and they realized they had a hit on their hands. But when they were negotating with a distributor for the USA market that it was demanded that all reference to the penguins' amazing behavior being due to their evolutionary development had to be removed. "Evolution" was a dirty word for the USA market. --RenniePet (talk) 22:28, 15 August 2014 (UTC)
- I don't think RenniePet's comment is off-topic; the same audience that they deleted "Evolution" for used it as an example for family values and ID - is the "Oh God" dialog an allusion to whether Black Hat been playing God? --FractalgeekUK (talk) 00:17, 16 August 2014 (UTC)
- I found a NY Times article on the evolution point: http://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/13/science/13peng.html?_r=0&pagewanted=print 184.108.40.206 01:23, 17 August 2014 (UTC)
A thought: possibly at least partially inspired by much-repeated note about current events as of the time of writing -- with Lauren Bacall's death, all the people mentioned in Madonna's Vogue are dead. 220.127.116.11 03:33, 18 August 2014 (UTC)
Finally, we get some Black Hat antics! Have you noticed that Randall has lately done less Black Hat comics? Or is just me? 18.104.22.168 20:43, 18 August 2014 (UTC)
Am I missing something? Nobody seems to ask WHY Black Hat apparently killed the penguins or even HOW (?!) 22.214.171.124 (talk) (please sign your comments with ~~~~)
- There is nothing in the comic, or in any other comic that would indicate why or how he would have done it, or even if it was just a mistake. So what should we include? Anything would be speculation. That Black Hat might do it just to make Megan sad is enough reason for me. Also he might just come to her to apologize just t make her think he is joking with the feeling old. Last point could be that he might not even have killed them, but when Megan spoiled his joke by realizing that he was trying to make her feel old, he quickly invented the killing story to upset her anyway. The title text kind of reinforces this, since he then anyway get to tell her she should feel old. --Kynde (talk) 14:38, 10 November 2016 (UTC) (Just added this idea to the explanation...)
Does Black Hat's statement necessarily imply that ALL the penguins were alive until recently? The article seems to state so on two or three instances and even goes to rebuke that position, but it is more probable that Black Hat was talking about all penguins that survived until "last night".
- Black Hat first refers to "all the birds," then says that "they" were alive until last night, so it's at least reasonable to read it as meaning they were all alive. Nitpicking (talk) 18:16, 8 December 2021 (UTC)