1864: City Nicknames
| This explanation may be incomplete or incorrect: stub|
If you can address this issue, please edit the page! Thanks.
Cities often have official or unofficial nicknames. For instance, St. Louis, Missouri, is known as "Gateway to the West" among several other nicknames. The nicknames typically invoke some historical or geographic feature of the city, but can sometime be opaque to those not familiar with the city.
Black Hat appears to believe they are near New York City, despite the skyline being clearly recognizable as St. Louis due to the Gateway Arch. However, the nickname he gives is neither a common New York nickname (such as "The Big Apple") nor a St. Louis nickname. Megan tries to correct him, but it becomes clear that Black Hat is making up nicknames. Many of his suggestions are puns for real nicknames of other places.
The title text contains made up demonyms in the same pattern. A demonym is a word for the people who live in a particular place. They are typically derived from the name of the place (e.g. "St. Louisan" for people from St. Louis), but some regions have an informal demonym that can be used colloquially by those familiar with the place to refer to its residents.
Nicknames and Demonyms
|City nickname in comic||Reference||Explanation|
|The Hot Tamale||Hot Tamales|
|The Winged City||The Windy City||Chicago. Possibly also Incheon International Airport (ICA/RKSI), South Korea|
|The Gold Trombone|
|The Kissing Kingdom|
|The High Place|
|The Thousand Spires||The City of a Hundred Spires||Prague|
|The Graveyard of Kings||The Graveyard of Champions||Court at Wimbledon where former champions were defeated. The comic was released one day after the 2017 Wimbledon Championships were finished.|
|Bloomtown||Boomtown||Generic term for a town undergoing rapid growth|
|Lantern City USA|
|The City of Many Daughters|
|The Glass Cradle|
|The Road Source|
|The Salad Bowl|
|The Glittering Swamp|
|The Steel Forest||The Concrete Jungle||The Concrete Jungle is a name often given to New York's Manhattan area|
|The Mobius Strip||The Strip is a shortened and commonly used name for the Las Vegas Strip, the main area of hotels and casinos in Las Vegas, Nevada. A Mobius strip is a one-sided piece of paper created by rotating the short edge of the strip 180 degrees and attaching it to the other short edge. The Vegas strip has more or less only one side as well.|
|The Land of Trains and Fog||In the webcomic Homestuck a deadly game takes place on planets named in the format "The Land of X and Y" e.g. "The Land of Light and Rain".|
|The Meeting Place|
|The Dark Star|
|The Walled Garden|
|Skin City||Sin City||Generic term for a city well known for gambling, drugs, or other vices. Also Las Vegas.|
|The Horse Rotary|
|The Naked Towers|
|The Urban Orb|
|The City of Angles||City of Angels||Los Angeles. Also, the titular City of Angles in the web novel City of Angles.|
|The Big Wheel|
|Bird City USA|
|The City of Seven Crowns||City of Seven Hills||Rome|
|Bug City||A nickname for the bug-infested Chicago in the roleplaying game Shadowrun. Also, a sourcebook for the game.|
|The Bottomless Cup|
|The Last Town|
|The Empty Set|
|Demonym in comic||Reference||Explanation|
|Northlanders||Highlanders||Maybe a reference to the people of the Scottish Highlands, with a similar demonym. The "High" in "Highlands" is a reference to the mountainous landscape, not the geographical position.|
|Fair Folk||The elves in The Lord of the Rings are referred to as the 'fair folk'. The fair folk is also more generally used as a name for fairies in folklore.|
|Remote Clients||Remote computer client||In computing, a remote client is a program used to access a computer or service over the internet.|
|Barrow-Clerks||Barrow-wights||Creatures in "The Lord of the Rings" that resemble wraiths which the Hobbits come across in the Barrow-downs.|
|The People of Land and Sky||Sea Peoples|
|This transcript is incomplete. Please help editing it! Thanks.|
- [Black Hat, Megan, and Ponytail are standing on a hill overlooking a city. The Gateway Arch is visible, as well as a number of skyscrapers in the skyline.]
- Black Hat: Ah, New York. The Hot Tamale.
- Megan: This is St. Louis. Also, that's not–
- Black Hat: The Winged City. The Gold Trombone. Castleopolis.
- Megan: It's none of those.
- [Close-up of Black Hat]
- Black Hat: The Kissing Kingdom. Sandland. The High Place. Ol' Ironhook.
- Megan (off-panel): Still wrong.
- Black Hat: The Thousand Spires. The Graveyard of Kings. Bloomtown. Lantern City USA.
- Megan (off-panel): Please stop.
- [Black Hat, Megan, and Ponytail are walking]
- Black Hat: The City of Many Daughters. Big Mauve. The Glass Cradle. The Road Source. London Prime. Hamtown. The Salad Bowl. God's Boudoir. The Glittering Swamp. The Steel Forest. The Mobius Strip. The Land of Trains and Fog. The Meeting Place. The Dark Star. The Walled Garden. Skin City. The Horse Rotary. Turkeytown. The Naked Towers. The Meta-City. The Urban Orb. The City of Angles. The Big Wheel. Bird City USA. The City of Seven Crowns. Hilltopia. Bug City. The Bottomless Cup. [Text size getting smaller] Lorde's Fen. The Last Town. The Empty Set. Ghost Harbor.
- Megan: How long does this last?
- Ponytail: No city has ever let him stay long enough to find out.
add a comment! ⋅ add a topic (use sparingly)! ⋅ refresh comments!