1868: Eclipse Flights
Title text: The captain has turned on the 'fasten seat belt' sign.
| This explanation may be incomplete or incorrect: No longer bot-made, but could still use work. Do NOT delete this tag too soon.|
If you can address this issue, please edit the page! Thanks.
A total solar eclipse will occur on Monday, August 21, 2017. It will be visible as a total eclipse in a narrow band across the contiguous United States starting in Oregon on the Pacific coast and traversing east from there. Cueball asks Megan what she is doing, which turns out to be mapping the flights of aircraft that will be in the air and will fly through the area of the eclipse. She has found between 50 to 100 such flights.
While most flights during the eclipse are coincidental, a few airlines have special flights planned for the occasion. 
On the map, the center of the greatest eclipse is shown on the border between Illinois and Kentucky. Cueball says that the airlines and pilots will be prepared and aware of the situation, but Megan wonders what it would be like on a plane with an unprepared crew. The last panel shows a plane flying into the area of the eclipse with one of the crew telling the passengers that the end of the world has come.
The title text refers to the 'fasten seat belts' signs on display for the passengers, as a precautionary measure for turbulence. Many pop-culture depictions of the end of the world feature storms, earthquakes, tsunamis, volcanic eruptions, etc; as the captain believes that the end of the world is upon them, he feels it safe to ensure his passengers are prepared for turbulence from any of the phenomena that occur during the end times. However, the precaution of having one's seat belt fastened is vastly insufficient when confronted with such catastrophic events.
This was the first reference to the Eclipse within a month of the totality. It was followed less than three weeks later by 1876: Eclipse Searches. The 2017 eclipse was mentioned as early as 2013 in the title text of 1302: Year in Review. And this years New Year comic, 1779: 2017, also mentions it. Both comics express concern, in the title text, that it will be canceled/not happening.
- [Cueball is standing behind Megan, looking over her shoulder as she's seated in front of her laptop.]
- Cueball: What's that?
- Megan: Flight plans. Looks like there will be 50 to 100 flights whose route puts them in the path of the eclipse next month.
- [A map with a shaded path of the eclipse and red planes traveling is shown, with some planes inside the path.]
- Cueball: I'm sure the airlines will be prepared. Pilots know that stuff.
- Megan: But can you imagine being on the one flight where the pilot didn't?
- [A more detailed plane is shown flying into a curtain of darkness.]
- Captain: *KSSCHHH*
- Captain: This is your captain speaking. If you look out the right side of the plane, you'll see, uhh...
- Captain: Folks, this appears to be the end times.
add a comment! ⋅ add a topic (use sparingly)! ⋅ refresh comments!