2383: Electoral Precedent 2020
|Electoral Precedent 2020|
Title text: He also broke the streak that incumbents with websites are unbeatable and Delawareans can't win, creating a new precedent: Only someone from Delaware can defeat an incumbent with a website.
| This explanation may be incomplete or incorrect: Created by an UNBEATABLE DELAWAREAN WITH A WEBSITE. Please explain how. Do NOT delete this tag too soon.|
If you can address this issue, please edit the page! Thanks.
This comic is an update to 1122: Electoral Precedent, adding "broken precedents" for the US presidential elections in 2016 and 2020. The majority of the comic's panels are duplicates from 1122, with the exception of the 2012 panel (modified to show that Obama did in fact break the streak), the 2016 panel (added to reflect the election of Donald Trump), and the two 2020 panels.
The final two panels again show how the 'precedent' have side conditions that influenced these precedents:
- No sitting president who was impeached was nominated for the office again... until Donald Trump. (Bill Clinton was the last president who was impeached, but he was not eligible for re-election due to term limits; before that, Nixon wasn't impeached but resigned from office; before that, Johnson was seeking re-election but lost in the primaries against Seymour)
- The last time a challenger beat an incumbent was in 1992 when websites weren't nearly as predominant as now and Randall assumes the 1992 Clinton campaign not to have a website. By 1996 that had changed and both the incumbent Bill Clinton campaign and the challenger Bob Dole campaign had websites that look very simple by today's standards. There is no 'curse' on using websites.
The 2020 election is also precedent-breaking in a few ways that Randall didn't mention:
- Biden received over 76 million votes, the highest ever, beating Obama 2008's previous record of just under 69.5 million votes. The second highest raw vote total was for Trump, with approximately 71.5 million votes, also beating Obama 2008. Turnout as a percentage of the eligible population was the highest in over a century. Consequently (especially as total population has also been rising), both major parties' raw vote totals smash previous precedents.
- At 78, Joe Biden will be the oldest president ever on the day of his inauguration.
- Biden's running mate Kamala Harris will be the first-ever female vice president, first Black vice president, and first vice president of Indian descent. A Californian, she'll also be the first Democratic president or vice president from the West.
The title text continues the theme of websites, by stating that no incumbent with a website had ever lost. Also, Biden is the first president from the state of Delaware, thus he broke the "precedent" that Delawareans can't win. Randall then proceeds to combine these 2 facts to create a new precedent: Only Delawareans can defeat incumbents with a website.
Table of New Broken Precedents
Redundant options can be found at 1122: Electoral Precedent
|2012||Democratic incumbents never beat taller challengers. ... Until Obama did. (Updated)|
|2016||No one has become president without government or military experience. ... Until Trump did.|
|2020?||No one has won after being impeached. ✓|
|2020?||No challenger with a website has won. X|
|This transcript is incomplete. Please help editing it! Thanks.|
- The problem with statements like
- "No <party> candidate has won the election without <state>"
- "No president has been reelected under <circumstances>"
- ★ Updated for 2020 ★
- 1788... No one has been elected president before. ...But Washington was.
- 1792... No incumbent has ever been reelected. ...Until Washington.
- 1796... No one without false teeth has become president. ...But Adams did.
- 1800... No challenger has beaten an incumbent. ...But Jefferson did.
- 1804... No incumbent has beaten a challenger. ...Until Jefferson.
- 1808... No congressman has ever become president. ...Until Madison.
- 1812... No one can win without New York. ...But Madison did.
- 1816... No candidate who doesn't wear a wig can get elected. ...Until Monroe was.
- 1820... No one who wears pants instead of breeches can be reelected. ...But Monroe was.
- 1824... No one has ever won without a popular majority. ...J.Q. Adams did.
- 1828... Only people from Massachusetts and Virginia can win. ...Until Jackson did.
- 1832... The only presidents who get reelected are Virginians. ...Until Jackson.
- 1836... New Yorkers always lose. ...Until Van Buren.
- 1840... No one over 65 has won the presidency. ...Until Harrison did.
- 1844... No one who's lost his home state has won. ...But Polk did.
- 1848... The Democrats don't lose when they win Pennsylvania. ...But they did in 1848.
- 1852... New England Democrats can't win. ...Until Pierce did.
- 1856... No one can become president without getting married. ...Until Buchanan did.
- 1860... No one over 6'3" can get elected. ...Until Lincoln.
- 1864... No one with a beard has been reelected. ...But Lincoln was.
- 1868... No one can be president if their parent are alive. ...Until Grant.
- 1872... No one with a beard has been reelected in peacetime. ...Until Grant was.
- 1876... No one can win a majority of the popular vote and still lose. ...Tilden did.
- 1880... As goes California, so goes the nation. ...Until it went Hancock.
- 1884... Candidates named "James" can't lose. ...Until James Blaine.
- 1888... No sitting president has been beaten since the Civil War. ...Cleveland was.
- 1892... No former president has been elected. ...Until Cleveland.
- 1896... Tall midwesterners are unbeatable. ...Bryan wasn't.
- 1900... No Republican shorter than 5'8" has been reelected. ...Until McKinley was.
- 1904... No one under 45 has become president. ...Roosevelt did.
- 1908... No Republican who hasn't served in the military has won. ...Until Taft.
- 1912... After Lincoln beat the Democrats while sporting a beard with no mustache, the only Democrats who can win have a mustache with no beard. ...Wilson had neither.
- 1916... No Democrat has won without Indiana. ...Wilson did.
- 1920... No incumbent senator has won. ...Until Harding.
- 1924... No one with two Cs in their name has become president. ...Until Calvin Coolidge.
- 1928... No one who got ten million votes has lost. ...Until Al Smith.
- 1932... No Democrat has won since women secured the right to vote. ...Until FDR did.
- 1936... No President's been reelected with double-digit unemployment. ...Until FDR was.
- 1940... No one has won a third term. ...Until FDR did.
- 1944... No Democrat has won during wartime. ...Until FDR did.
- 1948... Democrats can't win without Alabama. ...Truman did.
- 1952... No Republican has won without winning the House or Senate. ...Eisenhower did.
- 1956... No Republican has won without Missouri. ...Until Eisenhower.
- 1960... Republicans without facial hair are unbeatable. ...Kennedy beat Nixon.
- 1964... No Democrat has won without Georgia. ...Johnson did.
- 1968... No Republican vice president has risen to the Presidency through an election. ...Until Nixon.
- 1972... No wartime candidate has won without Massachusetts. ...Until Nixon did.
- 1976... No one who lost New Mexico has won. ...But Carter did.
- 1980... No one has been elected President after a divorce. ...Until Reagan was.
- 1984... No left-handed president has been reelected. ...Until Reagan was.
- 1988... No Democrat who has won Wisconsin (without being from there) has lost. ...Until Dukakis did.
- 1992... No Democrat has won without a majority of the Catholic vote. ...Until Clinton did.
- 1996... No Dem. incumbent without combat experience has beaten someone whose first name is worth more in Scrabble. ...Until Bill beat Bob.
- 2000... No Republican has won without Vermont. ...Until Bush did.
- 2004... No Republican without combat experience has beaten someone two inches taller. ...Until Bush did.
- 2008... No Democrat can win without Missouri. ...Until Obama did.
- 2012... Democratic incumbents never beat taller challengers. ... Until Obama did.
- 2016... No one has become president without government or military experience. ... Until Trump did.
- 2020? No one has won after being impeached. ✓
- 2020? No challenger with a website has won. X
- [Caption below the comic]
- Congratulations to President-Elect Joe Biden for breaking the website curse!
- This comic seems to have used the same image as 1122: Electoral Precedent, and so under the 2016 panel there is the ghost image of the original 2012 2nd "streak": "No nominee whose first name contains a "K" has lost."
add a comment! ⋅ add a topic (use sparingly)! ⋅ refresh comments!