Talk:1530: Keyboard Mash
Spiders. We knew this would happen someday.
So, the plot seems to be that he went outside to deal with his dog, and the spider got inside, perhaps lurking in his room and striking when he sat down at his computer, hence the keyboard smash. It could be him being taken, or perhaps the spider getting adjusted to the keyboard rather clumsily, what would you see as more feasible? And from then on, it's the spider typing? 188.8.131.52 06:23, 27 May 2015 (UTC)
"All your hands" were on the home row? Surely he means *both* hands or all *fingers* - unless he's already aware of the spider? Plot hole? 184.108.40.206 06:43, 27 May 2015 (UTC)
- Good catch. May be he always was aware he was talking with a spider. And the las comment from the spider is just sarcastic. Arturotena (talk) 07:46, 27 May 2015 (UTC)
- Yes, that had me wondering too. Perhaps the spider didn't realise she needed to turn the webcam off? 220.127.116.11 09:20, 27 May 2015 (UTC)
The comment "I am a normal Human typing with my Human hands." seems like something Beret Guy would say. Perhaps his time with Beret Guy has desensitized Cueball to those kind of comments? 18.104.22.168 09:08, 27 May 2015 (UTC)
- On the other hand, beret guy wouldn't accuse someone of being "weird" or "bizarre" Zeimusu (talk) 09:13, 27 May 2015 (UTC)
- Internal skeleton
In the title text, the spider invite to “CHAT ABOUT OUR INTERNAL SKELETONS.” Of course, the spiders, being arachnid, are invertebrate and don't have internal skeletons. Humans have. My guess is the spider is trying to fool the human. :-) Arturotena (talk) 07:34, 27 May 2015 (UTC)
Thanks, Mr. skeletal. 22.214.171.124 11:08, 27 May 2015 (UTC)
- Number of "Fingers"
It is 7 keys - "fingers" that are used for the smash on the home row. Spiders have 8 legs. Anybody else notice that? lg tier666 126.96.36.199 07:44, 27 May 2015 (UTC)
- I count 8 keys: 7 letters and the digit "7". Bit, since the letters are repeated, the spider couldn't press all of the with its legs at the same time. All of this make me think that a spider could be an awesome typist. Arturotena (talk) 07:51, 27 May 2015 (UTC)
- Turing test
- What if?
Coincidentally, or perhaps not, the current "What if?" at http://what-if.xkcd.com/136/ is also spider related. It comes with a health warning: "If you're a serious arachnophobe, you might want to skip this one." :-) . Gearoid (talk) 08:09, 27 May 2015 (UTC)
What should be the name of the picture of White Hat? White Hat/Spider or White Hat Chat Avatar or Spider with the acces of White Hats Avatar or spider who seems to be White Hat or Spider who replaced White Hat in the Interweb of better Names I couldn't think of yet. And how do we know, that Cueball is Cueball as well maybe this is the invasion of the spiders who come through the web!! ẞ qwertz (talk) 10:32, 27 May 2015 (UTC)
- https://www.pinterest.com/pin/310959549243301172/ That is all. - Frankie (talk) 11:51, 27 May 2015 (UTC)
- Possible reference by the title?
- Where's your dog now?
The dog is probably a reference to Terminator 2 where a barking dog reveals the terminator identity. 188.8.131.52 12:45, 27 May 2015 (UTC)
- Keystroke Dynamics
I see a hint to keystroke dynamics in this comic, which is being increasingly used to assert someone's identity online. 184.108.40.206 16:55, 27 May 2015 (UTC)xquestion
Back 30+ years ago I had an Apple II+ with a keyboard that did EXACTLY this. Every time you "keyboard mashed", there were odd "7"s and "5"s appearing where none should be. Aside from this comic now having creepy undertones for me, personally, this seems like a factoid about ancient keyboards that's worthy of a "Did You Know?" bullet. What do you guys think? 220.127.116.11 02:36, 28 May 2015 (UTC)
- Spiders FTW!18.104.22.168
I am so glad that spiders can only grow to about 5-8 inches before physics stop them. Though prehistoric times were awesome, they had dragonfly bodies the length of thighs with 26 inch wingspans and cockroaches half a meter long! I've let a 1/3rd foot Madagascar hissing roach walk on me in a museum and don't mind but I think I'd be scared to see the underside of that half meter cockroach! 22.214.171.124 (talk) (please sign your comments with ~~~~)
Thrackerzod, is that you? 126.96.36.199 03:11, 28 May 2015 (UTC)
Disagree with the flag: I do not find the explanation "too chatty", nor do I think cutting it to 1/3 the size would be beneficial. (No, I had nothing to do with the writing of it, just thought I'd voice my support of the original author) 188.8.131.52 21:01, 27 May 2015 (UTC)larK
- Number of "legs" of the spider
- The spider has 8 legs, which is what spiders normally have, and it uses three of the front legs to type - i.e. it is not antennas. But yes one of these three legs explains the 7. But it is interesting that it only hit 8 different keys, although 17 hits in total. But as we can see it hanging, it is obvious that it did not use all eight legs to type. --Kynde (talk) 12:01, 28 May 2015 (UTC)
Just watched LOTR Return of the King yesterday just before I saw this comic, so Shelob was the first thing I thought about... But I do not think it should represent her... But White Hat hangs in the same way that the Orcs did in her tunnel. sdalkfjas8dlkjdsf --Kynde (talk) 12:04, 28 May 2015 (UTC)
Aren't most xkcd comics in uppercase? If so, then the chat should be treated as normal text typed with normal casing.
- I agree with this, I don't know why it has been assumed that the chat log is all in UPPRECASE. Possibly it is in the official transcript? --Pudder (talk) 11:21, 29 May 2015 (UTC)
- Alternate Explanation
Is it possible that, while being attacked, White Hat deliberately mashed the buttons like this because he would know Cueball would find it odd and thing something is wrong? 184.108.40.206 16:16, 28 May 2015 (UTC)
- Cooking Bread
Wouldn't cooking bread refer to making toast instead of baking bread? 220.127.116.11 12:43, 29 May 2015 (UTC)