1081: Argument Victory
Title text: Really, the comforting side in most conspiracy theory arguments is the one claiming that anyone who's in power has any plan at all.
Cueball is emailing or arguing on a forum with Combs Hair Down. Combs Hair Down is promoting a conspiracy theory in the face of all the journal and fact checking evidence. Cueball is playing into the conspiracy argument; by showing Combs Hair Down the mountain of evidence against the theory, he just provides more evidence for the cover-up. Cueball says he can win the argument by ceasing to discuss the issue and going down a waterslide. There is no way to truly defeat a conspiracy theory in an argument, but Cueball achieves the best result possible by making it temporarily impossible to be involved in the argument, and that's a victory. One interpretation is that the fun of going down a water slide far exceeds the fun of arguing with Combs Hair Down, and that's Cueball's victory while another infers that going down the slide will short the phone, thus achieving a similar (the argument is ended), but more perminant result.
The title text points out that belief in a conspiracy presupposes that those with the power to carry out the conspiracy actually have a plan, a situation which might be found "comforting" in contrast to one of its alternatives, namely that those in power are just muddling through with no plan at all. This concept is revisited in 1274: Open Letter.
- Cueball: I can't believe you're so wrong. I'm backed by Snopes, Wikipedia, and a half-dozen journals. You're citing .net pages with black backgrounds and like 20 fonts each.
- Combs Hair Down: It's sad how you buy into the official story so unquestioningly. Guess some people prefer to stay asleep.
- Cueball: Watch closely— I'm about to win this argument.
- CHD, responding electronically: how?
- Cueball: By going down a waterslide.
- [Cueball is sitting at the very top of a waterslide preparing to descend.]
- CHD: So? what does that prove?
- Cueball: Wheeee..
- CHD: You didn't win the argument!
- Cueball: ...eeee