Explain xkcd: It's 'cause you're dumb.
Megan and Cueball get the idea to build a rotating bed from a TV show like Cribs, which documents the decadent homes of the wealthy.
Rotating beds are typically used for sexual activity and variety, but Cueball and Megan have made theirs rotate far too fast, like a roundabout, to be useful for this purpose.
The last panel is a flashback to earlier that day, when they see a rotating bed on television. Megan comments that a rotating bed does not seem difficult to build.
The title text implies that the high speed of rotation is not accidental as we may have assumed from the comic, but intentional, due to Megan and Cueball's erroneous belief that the rotation itself is supposed to turn them on, not the sexual activity they would engage in on the moving bed. A turning bed is also a pun with "turned-on."
- [Cueball clinging onto bed sheets while being dragged away by centrifugal force.]
- Cueball: AAAAAAAAAA
- [Megan similarly clinging on.]
- Megan: AAAAAAAAAA
- [Overhead shot of both spinning around a plain white circle in a room with other accoutrements.]
- Both: AAAAAAAA
- Heading: Earlier that day...
- Cueball: Haha, check it out - This guy's mansion has an actual rotating bed.
- Megan: You know, I bet it wouldn't be too hard to build one of those...
add a comment! ⋅ add a topic (use sparingly)! ⋅ refresh comments!
The usefulness of rotation in romance has been mentioned before in 162: Angular Momentum. Perhaps the problem is that they are spinning the bed clockwise instead of counter-clockwise? Erenan (talk) 19:18, 28 August 2012 (UTC)
I think the difference lies in the commonly understood meaning of rotation as opposed to say spinning. Rotating can mean slow or fast, but spinning is usually faster. Is there a word that implies a gentleness to the rotation. They probably want a pivoting or turning bed. DruidDriver (talk) 01:00, 16 January 2013 (UTC)
Maybe Megan and Cueball would have been more turned on if they instead made a Turing bed.220.127.116.11 21:24, 20 March 2013 (UTC)
The explanation needs to be fixed. The phrase "The rotating bed is supposed to be a sexy device" implies that the device itself is sexy. 18.104.22.168 20:57, 12 November 2013 (UTC)
- It's not? Then why am I turned on so much? 22.214.171.124 23:26, 12 November 2013 (UTC)
- Because of your spinning bed fetish. 126.96.36.199 00:42, 13 November 2013 (UTC)
How would a Turning bed help at all with sex? Benjaminikuta (talk) 18:10, 7 October 2014 (UTC)
Before reading the explanation, I always thought that this was something about frictionless environments. Leafy Greens (talk) 00:47, 17 November 2014 (UTC)
What the heck does "requires expanding" mean? I'm removing this tag until it can be made more specific. Djbrasier (talk) 13:09, 27 May 2015 (UTC)