The Black Hat Man seems to have met a person who happens to be wearing not one, but two black hats. Considering Black Hat's attitude (and dangerous behavior), it's likely that Black Hat believes he has found someone to be twice as dangerous as he is, shown by the two hats. With this in mind, Black Hat makes a quick exit.
This could also be reference to the obsession with hats common in players of Valve's game Team Fortress 2.
- [Black Hat is Walking.]
- [Black Hat stops in front of another man with two Black Hats.]
- [After two panels, The Original Black Hat steps backward, shuddering slightly.]
add a comment! ⋅ add a topic (use sparingly)! ⋅ refresh comments!
I have a dissenting opinion, I think it's an electrostatics joke, with black hat (who is negative), meets a person of the same charge and more mass, so he is repelled by an electromagnetic field (likes repel)
--22.214.171.124 15:57, 9 May 2013 (UTC)
- I am sure this is a mystic power pushing Black Hat back at the last frame. There must be a film or video game with a powerful man wearing two hats or something similar. I have no idea. --Dgbrt (talk) 19:40, 9 May 2013 (UTC)
- What, you mean like Team Fortress 2, and its infamous Gentle Manne of Leisure? 126.96.36.199 (talk) (please sign your comments with ~~~~)
- I disagree with the above discussion: I believe the wavy lines shown in the final frame are simply to indicate that Black Hat is slowly backing away. If any mystical or eletrostatic s were involved, the long delay in the 3rd and 4th frames, during which Black Hat is sizing up Black Hat 2, would NOT be appropriate. --MisterSpike (talk) 18:25, 26 June 2013 (UTC)
I believe it is significant that the black hat has its own black hat. Nobody mentioned this. It's not merely that the gentleman is wearing two hats. This effectively squares the humor level.
--188.8.131.52 dobennett 23:37, 17 May 2013 (UTC)
I think the dual-BHG first had only one hat (I mean, why would you wear two hats?), but gained one from another BHG (ala Cube Zero and the watches), which is why DBHG is clearly a threat to BHGs.
--184.108.40.206 14:54, 3 July 2013 (UTC)
Is it at all possible that Black Hat believes that there is something wrong with a person who wears two black hats and that they should be avoided at all costs?
-- 220.127.116.11 (talk) 1:27, 3 january 2015 (UTC) (please sign your comments with ~~~~)
- Precisement. I was about to post a comment saying that my first interpretation was simply that the guy with two hats must be insane, or a fool, and that it was a "just back away slowly from the crazy guy" situation. —Kazvorpal (talk) 14:53, 4 August 2017 (UTC)
Could this have to do with the journal comics? I think it should be mentioned at least.18.104.22.168 01:50, 25 May 2017 (UTC)
- Not just possible, but likely! -Pennpenn 22.214.171.124 07:07, 23 June 2015 (UTC)
Would it be possible that Two Black Hats in this page is the actual Black Hat intimidating someone who happened to wear a black hat on that day?
126.96.36.199 17:38, 3 September 2015 (UTC)
New headcannon: The second hat is actually Black Hat from 412: Startled Just some random derp 22:09, 21 September 2015 (UTC)
Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds. Bow before me ye mortals, and weep. (Thanks to Oppenheimer for the start) SilverMagpie (talk) 01:41, 22 November 2018 (UTC)