| This explanation may be incomplete or incorrect: |
Please include the reason why this explanation is incomplete, like this:
If you can address this issue, please edit the page! Thanks.
This comic shows a graph with three parts.
First, the names are sorted up by genera (plural of genus, a low-level taxonomic rank used in the biological classification of living and fossil organisms) from bottom to top of which animals would win in a fight. Secondly, the names within the genus are then sorted by coolness of name from left to right. Thirdly, in red you can see the direction that Apple has taken with nicknaming the versions of their OS X operating system. They started at v10.0 "Cheetah", and have moved through genuses from there in no order that this chart can make out.
Bobcats are an joke of the comic in that they appear in the strangest places. The genus Puma here only lists synonyms for the puma (see cougar) instead of the actual genus. Of course, the three OS X versions named by three of these synonyms are not the same.
Despite being named after "Hogwarts", the magical school from the Harry Potter series of books and movies, Dracorex hogwartsia is real.
Since this comic was published, Apple has stopped naming versions of OS X after big cats: v10.8 "Mountain Lion" was followed by v10.9 "Mavericks", named after a beach in California, and will be followed by v10.10 "Syrah", a type of grape also known as Shiraz.
- Well-known felines:
- [A graph organizing various feline species labeled with common names ordered by Genera (in order of which would win in a fight) on the y axis, and coolness of name on the x axis.]
- Smilodon (extinct): "Saber-toothed cat (scientific name: Smilodon fatalis)
- Panthera: "Jaguar", "Leopard", "Snow Leopard", "Tiger", "Lion"
- Puma: "Cougar", "Puma", "Panther", "Mountain Lion"
- Other felidae: "Ocelot", "Cheetah"
- Felis & Lynx: "Housecat", "Bobcat", "Wildcat", "Lynx"
- [Some elements are further connected using an unbranched acyclic digraph. The elements are connected thus: "Cheetah" -> "Puma" -> "Jaguar" -> "Panther" -> "Tiger" -> "Leopard" -> "Snow Leopard" -> "Lion" -> "Mountain Lion".]
- The OS X Problem