213: Ghostbusters Marathon
Title text: If you walk out that door you'll be crossing the Rubicon with me, and that's one stream I'm not ready to cross.
Ghostbusters is a 1984 supernatural comedy film that spawned a sequel, a reboot, and two animated television series (the latter of which lasted less than a season, didn't feature the same cast of titular Ghostbusters, and therefore is probably being pointedly ignored). The box, a "Muon Containment Trap," is a device used in the film to capture ghosts. It is connected to a footswitch by a cable. The man trying to leave is about to be pulled into the box and held there indefinitely (against his will, of course).
The title text refers to Julius Caesar's crossing of the Rubicon, a river (or very large stream) that marked the border between Roman Italy and an area of land Caesar was the appointed governor of. At the end of his term, the Roman Senate ordered him to disband his army and return to Italy. Instead, he brought his forces past the border, an act of treason and rebellion against the Republic, instigating the Roman Civil War. The phrase "crossing the Rubicon" now means making a move with gigantic consequences that cannot be undone. In the film Ghostbusters, the protagonists use "proton packs" that fire "streams" of energy. The inventor of the device warns that these streams should not be crossed against each other, as doing so "would be bad." Just how bad? "Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light." Important safety tip.
- Final quote taken from the 1984 movie Ghostbusters.
- [Cueball and a friend are in a room. Cueball is standing up. There is litter around them.]
- Cueball: Okay, that's all the Ghostbusters marathon I can handle. Later!
- Friend: You can't leave! We just started the animated series!
- Cueball: I've had my fill. I'm going home.
- Friend: I can't let you do that.
- [Cueball walks along a cord and past a box. The friend clicks a switch.]
- [Cueball is bathed in some kind of aura emitted by the box.]
add a comment! ⋅ add a topic (use sparingly)! ⋅ refresh comments!