In the title text, Randall makes the joke that by recording a record under the name "Pink FTFY" (fixed that for you), the name of his band would come immediately after Pink Floyd alphabetically, so the album would be to the right of Pink Floyd's album for Dark Side of the Moon, allowing for the same image seen in the back of the dorm room to be on the shelves of the record store. Since the cover of his album would be catching the light from Pink Floyd's album and forming white light once again, Randall would be "fixing" the cover of Dark Side of the Moon. However Randall makes the crack that no one would see the joke, because of the fact music can be bought and downloaded online, which has decreased the traffic the record stores in recent years.
I just noticed that he has the same poster, he (cueball) just turned it upside-down and drew a lens on it. 184.108.40.206 02:53, 6 January 2013 (UTC)
- The poster is not the same poster turned upside-down. If you look at the rainbow, the rainbow still matches up with the original poster on the left, meaning that if you turned the poster on the right "right-side up", the rainbow would be upside-down when compared to the one on the left.--220.127.116.11 06:56, 28 August 2014 (UTC)
Note also that cueball's side of the room is an inverse of the left side of the room in other ways. The left bed has linens, the right does not, the left side of the room is messy, the right is not, the person on the left is sitting at a desktop, cueball is standing at a laptop and so on.
- Given that in the first panel the guy is looking at a piece of paper with the room number, and that the right side isn't just clean, it's devoid of any items save the desk and the bed (sans linen), I'd say it's likely the second guy has just moved in, and hasn't had a chance to cause a mess.-Pennpenn 18.104.22.168 02:37, 19 November 2015 (UTC)
- Possibly, but it might also be that he's an ultra-minimalist obsessed with purity - he's working on his laptop before even finding a chair - and has created this new poster to purify the light and get rid of all those messy colors.22.214.171.124 17:37, 26 September 2017 (UTC)
Also worth mentioning that this album cover is a very popular - to the point of cliche - poster to have in a student dorm. 126.96.36.199 14:26, 15 March 2013 (UTC)Chris C
Did anyone notice that the room number is 117? Does Randall play Halo? Or is that just a coincidence?
You just lost the game. NinjaWolf064 (talk) 05:50, 2 June 2017 (UTC)
Have to agree with NinjaWolf064 on this one. Or it's a reference to a hotel room in the Bourne Ultimatum film in the Tangier scene. Grif (talk) 00:12, 17 July 2019 (UTC)
The original vinyl sleeve actually looks like those two posters but backwards. The back of the jacket is split light being recombined by a prism and shot at an upwards angle into the prism on the front cover, where it is split again. Demonstrated here: http://mobile.collectorsfrenzy.com/gallery/230925609565.jpg 188.8.131.52 20:25, 21 April 2013 (UTC)
Also, the other figure in the dorm seems to be the "total douchebag" with a goatee and glasses from http://www.xkcd.com/796/. I think this is his only other appearance, does this say something about Randall's view of Pink Floyd and their fans? 184.108.40.206 (talk) (please sign your comments with ~~~~)
- That goatee/glasses figure is also a psychologist in http://www.xkcd.com/435/ and a person riding the escalator in http://www.xkcd.com/954/. 220.127.116.11 06:07, 13 July 2014 (UTC)
[Cueball finds home.]
[View into the dorm room. Cueball II lives there.]
[Cueball sees his life unfolding.]
[Cueball fetches his clobber.]
[View into the dorm room. Cueball / Cueball : Ying / Ying. All is harmony.]
I used Google News BEFORE it was clickbait (talk) 21:07, 22 January 2015 (UTC)
The second prism is dispersing (un-dispersing?) light the wrong way, in that it is bending red light through a larger angle than purple. The first prism has it correct. As I'm kind of new here, appreciate any thoughts on whether this sort of thing belongs in the explanation, or trivia section, or it's fine just keeping it to the comments section. Redbelly98 (talk) 00:18, 7 August 2018 (UTC)
- The prism is also incorrectly flipped over on the back cover of the actual Pink Floyd album, so it seems likely that R.M. knew about the original album cover design when he drew this comic.18.104.22.168 18:42, 14 November 2018 (UTC)
Anyone else think the figurine on top of the desk (left side, next to the water bottle) looks like Trogdor The Burninator?
This is really interesting. See ... you're all using a left-to-right writing system (English in Roman letters), so you read the light as coming from top left and exiting bottom right, like the text on this page. Of course, in terms of it being a picture, there's no reason the light source couldn't be on the bottom right (in the last panel) and being dispersed/combined in the other direction. Nitpicking (talk) 21:03, 17 September 2021 (UTC)