Randall has sometimes dedicated a special comic to the memory of certain people, upon news that they have died.
- If possible, the comic appears on xkcd the day after.
- This has been known to disrupt the usual release schedule for the comic.
So far six people have a tribute:
- Gary Gygax is remembered in the comic 393: Ultimate Game; it came out three days after his death, on a Friday.
- Steve Jobs is remembered in the comic 961: Eternal Flame; this came out on a Thursday, since he died on a Wednesday.
- Sir Terry Pratchett is remembered in the comic 1498: Terry Pratchett. He died on a Thursday so, even though the comic came out the day after, it was released on a normal release day.
- Douglas Engelbart is remembered in the comic 1234: Douglas Engelbart (1925-2013); it was published on a Sunday, three days after his death.
- Roddy Piper, former wrestler known as Rowdy, played the protagonist in "They Live," and he died five days prior to the publication of 1560: Bubblegum. Less known than the others it is likely that Randall did not know about this on the day it happened, and this may explain the delay in the tribute. It was released on a normal release day, Wednesday.
- John Horton Conway is remembered in the comic 2293: RIP John Conway, which came out as a Monday comic, two days after his death.