1105: License Plate
Cueball has obtained a new license plate. The license plate number one receives is often the next in sequence, available at the time and place of registration. However, in many localities, for an additional fee one can select his or her own "personalized" license plate number (called a vanity plate), subject to certain criteria, and availability.
In this comic, Cueball has elected to purchase the personalized license plate number "1I1-III1". He believes the ambiguity between the letter I and digit 1 on the plate will make it very difficult for anyone to correctly identify his vehicle if he commits a crime. Some localities have more distinct "1" and "I" characters in their license plate font than others.
What Cueball does not count on is that there are few, if any, other people who have chosen license numbers made up entirely of the letter I and digit 1. Thus, when witnesses report a vehicle with a license plate of I's and 1's, the police know exactly who the perpetrator is. Given either Cueball's apparent crime sprees or their realizing immediately upon the license plate's registration what Cueball's intent was, the police have written the address on a Post-it note (self-sticking adhesive notes commonly used for quick handy notetaking) in their car.
The title text appears to be a conversation between Cueball and the police as follows: That the police suspect Cueball of six bank robberies because a car with a license plate of all I's and 1's was used. Cueball responds that all he did was vandalize the library. Cueball does not understand because he was with his car the entire time of the robberies. As he says this, he has an epiphany that "that was clever of her". Although somewhat ambiguous, this appears to suggest that Megan, who Cueball told his plan to in the second panel, may have registered a different personalized license plate with a different combination of I's and 1's and has robbed six banks in an attempt to frame Cueball, knowing that the police will assume the car is his.
- [Cueball is holding a license plate up for an out-of-frame Megan to see.]
- Cueball: Check out my personalized license plate!
- Out-of-frame Megan: "1I1-III1"?
- Cueball: It's perfect!
- [Megan is sitting in a chair holding the plate.]
- Cueball: No one will be able to correctly record my plate number!
- I can commit any crime I want!
- Megan: Sounds foolproof.
- [Scene is two police officers (non-descript Cueball-type character holding a notepad, and Ponytail) interviewing a witness wearing glasses. There is a line of yellow police tape behind them.]
- Witness: The thief's license plate was all "1"s or something.
- Cop 1: Oh. That guy.
- Ponytail cop: His address is on a Post-it in the squad car.
add a comment! ⋅ add a topic (use sparingly)! ⋅ refresh comments!