Explain xkcd: It's 'cause you're dumb.
There is no xkcd comic numbered 404. Randall did not skip a day, however; he put xkcd 405 up on April 2 (2008), which leads some to see the 404 as an April Fool's joke.
"404" is the HTTP Response Code for "Not Found". Randall deliberately skipped comic number 404 in xkcd. Therefore, when people go to xkcd 404 they get a "404 Not Found" error page. (This does not work in all browsers. In newer versions of Internet Explorer a message about the link being broken occurs without the 404 code.)
Randall has stated that he considers 404 an official, actual comic, albeit a rather avant-garde one, and that for a time he made it possible to find it using the "random" button on xkcd.com.
It may seem like a random coincidence that xkcd 403 came out the day before April 1st 2008. And for sure it must have been by chance that it would come out close to that date when Randall began posting on xkcd. But when Randall noticed this fact, at some point prior to that date, he would, however, have had a chance to influence the release date. In November 2007, less than half a year before this April 1st, he released the 1337 series over five consecutive days. That would have moved the release date of 403 from Friday the 4th of April to the Monday it was actually released - making it possible to skip comic 404 as if it came out on April 1st without skipping a comic on a normal release day. There where at least one other series in 2007 to use all five day of a week (Choices), so maybe he had this planned for a long time?
- The web comic Comic JK made this spoof of this missing comic in total xkcd style:
add a comment! ⋅ refresh comments!
Maybe it was skipped because he had to. In some, if not all websites, there's the 404.html file that is displayed when there's a 404 error (example: /var/www/404.html/), so it would have shown the '404' page that existed the whole time, because xkcd.com/404 would have shown 404.html.22.214.171.124 22:58, 2 April 2014 (UTC)
April 1st, 2008 was a Tuesday, so no xkcd comic would have normally come out then. For that week, xkcd 403 was Monday, March 31st, 2008, xkcd 405 was Wednesday, April 2nd, and xkcd 406 was Friday, April 4th. 404 was just skipped. It is also skipped in the "previous comic"/"next comic" links on his site. I don't think it was an April Fools gag. Blaisepascal (talk) 19:03, 22 August 2012 (UTC)
- Well, I'd say that it certainy might be. In any case, it's an interesting observation! St.nerol (talk) 11:22, 23 November 2012 (UTC)
- Then again, his skipping from 403 to 405 (making 404 come up "404: Not Found") may have been his April Fool joke that year. The timing may have been coincidental, but I don't blame him for taking advantage of it. --Aaron of Mpls (talk) 23:16, 15 April 2013 (UTC)
- No, because there was already another April's Fool joke in 2008: xkcd, Questionable Content and Dinosaur Comics rotated their content (). However the timing does seem quite suspicious. -- Xorg (talk) 21:52, 16 April 2013 (UTC)
This entry isn't on the list of all comics 1-500, and I made the mistake of adding this comic to the list. I was about to add an explanation, with a link to a webcomic about it, when I found this page. I think that this page should be liked in the all comics 1-500 list so that others don't make the same mistake and so that curious people can easily get to it. Rylon (talk) 18:10, 17 July 2013 (UTC)
- The link is changed.--Dgbrt (talk) 18:55, 17 July 2013 (UTC)
- The hidden link
Nobody did find that hidden link? A shame. Just a simple test on this http://www.xkcd.com/test/ gives me a link to this comic: 1335: Now. And this page still appears like it was on the original release date on February 26 this year. I'm pretty sure there is still a link, some avant-garde, and Randall still giggles about that nobody did find this within six years. --Dgbrt (talk) 23:12, 10 March 2014 (UTC)
- Actually, you may be interested to note that xkcd.com/test now links to the Lorenz comic (#1350). 126.96.36.199 15:16, 16 April 2014 (UTC)
- It keeps changing then... Today it was 1367: Installing. It was 12, then 15 and now 19 days between the test and the day the link pointed at it. Kynde (talk) 15:00, 31 May 2014 (UTC)
- Now it's 1446: Landing. --188.8.131.52 22:56, 25 November 2014 (UTC)
- 1485: Friendship now --Kynde (talk) 07:52, 1 April 2015 (UTC)