81: Attention, shopper
Title text: There's a red convertible outside my building with the license plate 'DADS MNY'.
A common trope (often referenced in TV and film) is a loudspeaker announcement in which a store employee (or anyone else in charge somewhere where people gather, like church or a school) announces that a certain color and model of car has its lights on, or is blocking another car, or is about to be towed, or similar. A license plate is sometimes included to allow the owner to identify that it is specifically their car that is involved.
In this case, Black Hat is up to his old ways as, in addition to announcing that an SRT-10 has its lights on, he also announces that it has had its windshield smashed with a golf club. Black Hat is, of course, holding a golf club, frustrated at the owner’s revolting arrogance. The lights are probably on because the attack triggered the car's alarm system.
The Dodge Viper SRT-10 was a version of the Dodge Viper available on the third and fourth generations of Viper from 2003-2010. It was a very expensive sports car.
The two license plates in the comic are personalized license plates. The one in the comic-proper is clearly "My Toy"; the plate in the title text is most likely "Dad's Money," which Randall suggests is a real plate on a car outside his building, suggesting that the driver's father paid for the car, bragging about how rich their family is. This car will likely also soon earn Black Hat’s wrath.
- [Black Hat is holding a golf club and speaking into a P.A. system.]
- Black Hat: Attention,
- Black Hat: To the owner of a Dodge Viper SRT-10 with license plate "MYTOY," your lights are on and your windshield was just smashed with a golf club.
add a comment! ⋅ add a topic (use sparingly)! ⋅ refresh comments!
I always assumed he'd smashed the windshield because the lights were on, rather than the other way around. 184.108.40.206 17:14, 16 October 2014 (UTC)
- I think most people just assume that Black Hat smashed the windshield and turned on the lights because the license plate was bragging so obviously about the owners money.Mulan15262 (talk) 14:32, 3 June 2015 (UTC)
- I assumed that he had
- noticed the car because its lights were on,
- seen the licence plate,
- found (or stolen) a golf club,
- smashed the windshield, and
- made the announcement.
- Cheese Lord Eggplant (talk) 21:15, 14 December 2015 (UTC)
- I assumed that he had
I think that the car outside Randall's window is "dad's mini", which is a type of car right?220.127.116.11 19:50, 1 November 2016 (UTC)
- The "Y" in DADSMNY suggests "money" to me 18.104.22.168 06:16, 1 February 2017 (UTC)
i think the sequence of events is black hat sees fancy car hits car with club makes annunouncement
I think the title text refers to a car that was actually outside Randall's building when he drew this comic. Me 07:54, 8 June 2023 (UTC)