Welcome to the explain xkcd wiki!
We have an explanation for all 2 xkcd comics,
and only 37
(2%) are incomplete. Help us finish them!
Go to this comic explanation
|Update Your Address|
Title text: This is my four-digit PIN. It was passed down to me by my father, and someday I will pass it on to you. Unless we figure out how to update it, but that sounds complicated.
|| This explanation may be incomplete or incorrect: Created by someone with an OLD ADDRESS. There is no explanation. Do NOT delete this tag too soon.|
In this comic, Cueball is facing several instances where entities asking or confirming his address find that the address they possess isn't actually his - instead it's older, or of another person or entirely non-existent. In the last panel, it is revealed that this due to the fact that nobody in his family or ancestors update addresses on time.
Austria-Hungary was a European empire that existed between 1867 and 1918, dissolving during World War I. It is possible that Cueball's ancestors hail from the Austro-Hungarian Empire, though it would be even more absurd for that to be used as an address, given that the polity has not existed for almost a century.
The patent for PIN codes was submitted in May 1966, and the first public use of a PIN code was in 1967, when Barclays used them to process cheques at automated teller machines. It would be somewhat unusual for Cueball to an inherit both an active account and the PIN number associated with it.
|| This transcript is incomplete. Please help editing it! Thanks.
- [Cueball is standing, holding a phone.]
- Voice: Do you still live at 342 River St?
- Cueball: No, I moved last year.
- [Cueball is standing behind a counter with Hairy, whose hands are on a keyboard.]
- Hairy: Is 21 Ash Tree Lane still a good address?
- Cueball: What? That's my childhood home. How is that even in your system?
- [Cueball is holding a phone again.]
- Voice: The address we have is 205 Second St #2.
- Cueball: I... think that's where my parents lived before I was born!?
- [Cueball stands behind another counter with Ponytail and a tablet.]
- Ponytail: Are you still living in... "The Austro-Hungarian Empire?"
- Cueball: You know what, sure.
- Ponytail: Austria-Hungary dissolved in 1918.
- Cueball: Well, I come from a long line of people who hate updating stuff.
Is this out of date? .
Lots of people
contribute to make this wiki a success. Many of the recent contributors, listed above, have just joined. You can do it too! Create your account here
You can read a brief introduction about this wiki at explain xkcd. Feel free to sign up for an account and contribute to the wiki! We need explanations for comics, characters, themes, memes and everything in between. If it is referenced in an xkcd web comic, it should be here.
- List of all comics contains a table of most recent xkcd comics and links to the rest, and the corresponding explanations. There are incomplete explanations listed here. Feel free to help out by expanding them!
- We sell advertising space to pay for our server costs. To learn more, go here.
Don't be a jerk. There are a lot of comics that don't have set in stone explanations; feel free to put multiple interpretations in the wiki page for each comic.
If you want to talk about a specific comic, use its discussion page.
Please only submit material directly related to —and helping everyone better understand— xkcd... and of course only submit material that can legally be posted (and freely edited). Off-topic or other inappropriate content is subject to removal or modification at admin discretion, and users who repeatedly post such content will be blocked.
If you need assistance from an admin, post a message to the Admin requests board.