Title text: Opening dialogue by Scott
Megan and a young blonde discuss their plans after the college. The blonde doesn't know what she wants to do with her life, so she is going to go to grad school. Graduate school is the next level of education after undergraduate work, where students pursue a master's or doctoral degrees.
Megan, on the other hand, has decided to become a lighthouse operator, a path that has become increasingly less traveled. Fewer people need lighthouses. Before GPS technology, lighthouses were invaluable markers of where the sea ended and where land began. Megan likes the idea of being the maid in the highest tower. Except where most fairy tales portray the maid in the tower as helpless, waiting to be rescued, operating a lighthouse is far from helpless. It can be one of the most needed jobs for sea-farers to find their way safely back home.
Scott is referenced in:
- [Megan and Blonde are talking.]
- Blonde (or Ms. Lenhart): What do you want to do when you graduate?
- Megan: I want to become a lighthouse operator.
- Blonde: Oh?
- Megan: Yeah.
- [Cut to scene of lighthouse with text overlaid.]
- Megan: Lighthouses are built on interesting pieces of coast, so I'll have an interesting place to walk and swim, and great views of all kinds of weather. I'd feel good about myself and my work every single day.
- [Cut back to the two girls.]
- Megan: I'd get to be the girl in the tower, only I'd be the one rescuing people.
- Megan: Why. What do you want to do ?
- Blonde: I'm going to grad school. I don't really know why.
- Megan: Wanna come hang in my lighthouse over breaks?
- Blonde: ...yeah.