5: Blown apart
Title text: Blown into prime factors
The title text explains the comic. An anthropomorphic number 70 is blown into its prime factors (2, 5 and 7). Prime numbers are numbers which can not be divided by any number other than itself and 1. Factors of a number are numbers which can be multiplied together to produce that number (2x5x7 = 70). 70 has other factors, including 1, 10, 14, 35 and 70, but 2, 5 and 7 are the only factors which are prime. All other factors of 70 (other than 1) can be formed by multiplying two of the prime factors together.
- [A black number 70 sees a red package.]
- 70: hey, a package!
- [The package explodes with a BOOM and an brown cloud of smoke.]
- [There are a red 7, a green 5 and a blue 2 lying near a scorched mark on the floor.]
- This comic was never posted on LiveJournal.
- But it was still among the 44 comics that was posted on the day the xkcd web site opened (1st of January 2006).
- 41 one of these were previously posted on LiveJournal, only two where not.
- The other is 12: Poisson.
- Finally comic 36, which are now 36: Scientists was originally by mistake posted as a duplicate of 10: Pi Equals. This was first corrected much later.
- The release date is given from a - wayback.archive. At least the 25th of October was the first crawl date.
- This also explains why it was "released" on a Tuesday.
- On xkcd it was released for the first time to the public on Sunday the 1st of January 2006.
add a comment! ⋅ refresh comments!