Title text: Oh, weird, Amazon is out of butterfly nets.
Amazon Prime Air is a conceptual drone-based delivery system currently in development by Amazon.com. While on one level he thinks the idea is cool, Cueball worries about living in a sci-fi dystopia, with those drones flying all around him, tracking his actions, etc. In the third panel, Megan suggests sending a message to Congress, suggesting a law for making the stealing of drones legal. This would alleviate the problem of drones flying around everywhere because if they did people would catch them to use for themselves. In the final panel Megan begins to search for butterfly nets so they are ready to catch the microdrones when the law to make it legal to steal the drones goes through.
This tactic may not work as well as planned; drones will likely simply fly higher or employ other security measures since there are no regulations on drone behavior.
The title text suggests one of five things:
- Megan and Cueball bought all the nets in order to later re-sell them at a higher price, or to prevent others from obtaining them (for example, so that they can accumulate an army of hunter drones armed with butterfly nets and nobody would be able to prevent that).
- Amazon is out of stock of butterfly nets due to everyone purchasing them to catch drones with, implying many people had the same idea like Megan.
- Amazon doesn't want people stealing their drones, so the nets are just suspiciously "unavailable".
- Non-Amazon persons controlling the drones have pre-emptively purchased them all.
- Amazon's drones have already become self-aware, and have altered the database in order to prevent their capture.
Amazon drones is also the subject of the title text in 1625: Substitutions 2 and there are two quadcopters over the volcano lake in 1608: Hoverboard. Also, Cueball is abducted by seemly sentient drones in 1630: Quadcopter.
- [Cueball is standing behind Megan who sits at a desk typing on her laptop.]
- Cueball: So how do we regulate all these micro drones?
- Cueball: I mean, Amazon delivery bots sound cool...
- [Cueball stands alone surrounded by three micro drones.]
- Cueball: But I worry that overnight we'll realize we're surrounded by these things, no one will know who's controlling them, and then bam, sci-fi dystopia.
- [Megan turns in her chair towards Cueball.]
- Megan: If you wanna slow it down, why not just remove all regulations, but then make drone theft legal?
- [Cueball takes his hand to his chin and Megan turns back to type on the laptop.]
- Cueball: ...I like that.
- Megan: You write to congress.
- Megan: I'll stock up on butterfly nets.
add a comment! ⋅ add a topic (use sparingly)! ⋅ refresh comments!