2843: Professional Oaths
Title text: Interpretations of the Hermeneutic Oath differ.
The Hippocratic Oath is an "oath" of ethics taken by medical professionals, which includes the phrase "do no harm". Technically, the exact phrase "first, do no harm" is not in the oath, but this meaning is implied.
The full Hippocratic Oath can be seen at the Wikipedia article.
Randall takes other words that sound similar to "Hippocratic" and creates "oaths" for them.
- Hyperbaric means "of, relating to, or utilizing greater than normal pressure", so thus a "hyperbaric oath" would indeed involve getting used to (acclimating to) a different pressure.
- Holographic refers to "holographic" projections as seen in media such as Star Wars, in which the image typically shimmers. Not to be confused with actual holograms.
- Histrionics is "exaggerated, overemotional behaviour, especially when calculated to elicit a response".
- Hydroelectricity is producing energy using water power, typically using turbines.
- A hippodrome is an arena that was historically used for chariot racing and horse racing.
- Hypnagogia is "the state immediately before falling asleep". The phenomenon of jolting awake just as one is about to fall asleep is sometimes referred to as a hypnagogic jerk.
- A hypergolic propellant is a type of rocket propellant which doesn't need a spark to ignite, and spontaneously combusts when mixing the parts together. Normal rocket propellant, such as RP-1 and liquid oxygen, requires some sort of initial spark to start the reaction.
- (title text) Hermeneutics is the study of interpreting texts, thus the "Hermeneutic Oath" could have several interpretations as to its meaning.
- [There are multiple panels showing different characters, with the name of an oath above them and "First," followed by some principle related to the oath below them. They are all something that is related to the oath.]
- Hippocratic oath
- [Ponytail is wearing a lab coat, giving the Hippocratic oath.]
- First, do no harm
- Hyperbaric oath
- [Cueball is standing with multiple pressure lines around him.]
- First, acclimate to the pressure
- Holographic oath
- [A hologram of Ponytail is standing still.]
- First, shimmer intangibly
- Histrionic oath
- [White Hat is yelling angrily.]
- First, whine and complain
- Hydroelectric oath
- [Megan is standing in front of a very large turbine in a brick wall.]
- First, maintain your turbines
- Hippodromic oath
- [Ponytail is riding in a chariot. The horse pulling the chariot is running, and there is a large dust cloud behind them.]
- First, race your chariot well
- Hypnagogic oath
- [Cueball is in bed, and has sat up quickly in shock.]
- First, jolt awake just as you're drifting off
- Hypergolic oath
- [Cueball is standing while on fire.]
- First, burst into flame
add a comment! ⋅ add a topic (use sparingly)! ⋅ refresh comments!