702: Snow Tracking
Title text: I suppose that's more accurately a hare dryer.
This comic is a guide to recognizing various animals by their footprints. However, the comic typically detours into strange, ridiculous or pop-culture-referencing footprints. In order:
- The first panel is nothing special. Just a regular cat.
- "Moose and squirrel" is a reference to the cartoon Rocky and Bullwinkle. Rocky and Bullwinkle were a flying squirrel and a moose, respectively, and were frequently referred to as "moose and squirrel" by the show's antagonist Boris Badenov.
- Longcat is an internet meme from pictures of cats all stretched out that make them look very tall (or long).
- "Mouse riding Bicycle" is a reference to Ralph S. Mouse, a series of novels by Beverly Cleary.
- The hair dryer has melted an irregular region around the rabbit. The title text is a pun on the Rabbit with a hair dryer frame, possibly an homage to Looney Tunes, where shows with Bugs Bunny would often contain a pun on "hare".
- Legolas is a reference to the character in the Lord of the Rings trilogy of books and movies. Legolas, as an elf, was so light-footed he could walk on top of snow, while the other races in his party were forced to trudge through it.
- The "Bobcat on pogo stick" panel is a possible reference to the character Bonkers D. Bobcat from Bonkers (TV series)
- The "Knight" panel is a chess reference, as the tracks move just like the knight piece in chess.
- The "kid with..." panels are a reference to Calvin and Hobbes, a comic strip written by Bill Watterson. In it, Calvin has a pet tiger named Hobbes, and sometimes, a cardboard box that "transmogrifies" him to something else. In this panel we see tiger prints, meaning that Calvin became a tiger like Hobbes.
- The same cardboard box is now tipped on its side instead of upside down in the last panel. Now it functions as a duplicator, making multiple copies of whatever is in it. Calvin goes into it, duplicates himself, and they walk and duplicate again, and the cycle repeats.
- Prius is a reference to current events in which Toyota Prius's pedals have allegedly malfunctioned causing accidents. 
- The Higgs Boson is an elementary particle which, at the time this strip was posted, had not yet been officially discovered (there had been detections at the Tevatron with 4 sigma certainty since the early 2000s). It was tentatively detected in March 2013 in the Large Hadron Collider. The “prints” in the snow in this case humorously resemble the tracks made by elementary particles following a collision of the kind used to search for the Higgs boson in a particle collider.
- BACKYARD SNOW TRACKING GUIDE
- [Each panel contains an overhead view of tracks through the snow, with a caption indicating the apparent source.]
- [Standard paw prints through the snow.]
- [Large split-toe tracks and smaller rodent tracks.]
- MOOSE AND SQUIRREL
- [Cat prints, but with more space between the pairs of prints.]
- [Two similar careening tire tracks.]
- MOUSE RIDING BICYCLE
- [Longer tracks, with a large melted ring surrounding a point in the middle of the frame.]
- RABBIT STOPPING TO USE HAIR DRYER
- [No visible tracks.]
- [Single deep holes with cratering.]
- BOBCAT ON POGO STICK
- [Round prints that suddenly turn to the right halfway into frame.]
- [Human footprints up to a square melting pattern, turning into animal prints.]
- KID WITH TRANSMOGRIFIER
- [Human footprints up to a rectangular melted area, which are then doubled to another rectangular area, which are then doubled again up to another rectangular area, which are then doubled.]
- KID WITH DUPLICATOR
- [Right curve on a road, with tire tracks careening out of frame.]
- Out of Frame Garden Owner: MY VEGETABLE GARDEN!
- [A series of spiraling and outwardly traveling lines extend from a point in the middle of the frame.]
- HIGGS BOSON
add a comment! ⋅ add a topic (use sparingly)! ⋅ refresh comments!