Talk:2779: Exoplanet High-5
… too slow ;)
"I don't get it. What's updog?"220.127.116.11 03:50, 23 May 2023 (UTC)
isn't it usually spelled "high-five" --18.104.22.168 03:53, 23 May 2023 (UTC)
- Yeah - I don't understand what any of this has to do with sports nutrition.22.214.171.124 08:37, 23 May 2023 (UTC)
Izun tittus ually spelt hi-5 ? 126.96.36.199 06:24, 23 May 2023 (UTC)
Clearly the aliens were upset that Randall did it wrong by missing out the line 'On the side' between 'Down low' and 'Too slow!'188.8.131.52 08:41, 23 May 2023 (UTC)
The explanation states that “It is not known at which speed the Centaurians' invasion fleet travels and, therefore, when it will reach Earth.” It should be clarified that their speed is not known to earthlings (yet). The Centaurians most probably do know their own speed. Jacobus-nl (talk) 10:51, 23 May 2023 (UTC)
- Your own speed is always zero, of course. ;) Everything else outside your own current frame of reference will have a speed. Or, better, velocity! 184.108.40.206 11:32, 23 May 2023 (UTC)
Can someone clarify the title text? What’s updog? /j 220.127.116.11 14:38, 23 May 2023 (UTC)
- It's explained in the last paragraph of the explanation. It sounds like "What's up, dawg?" Barmar (talk) 16:46, 23 May 2023 (UTC)
- no fucking way 18.104.22.168 13:28, 24 May 2023 (UTC)
It will no doubt be the bloodiest battle since the Great Henway War. 22.214.171.124 14:58, 23 May 2023 (UTC)
This comic should have come out last month, around National High Five Day. Although this year it was on 4/20, and many people who might participate would have been too stoned. Barmar (talk) 16:54, 23 May 2023 (UTC)
So I came here because I was baffled that the rhyme didn't start as I learned it, with "Gimme five!" and then proceeds with "Up high!" but then, I was on the receiving end of this prank, so I eventually launched my own attack force on the playground. But the first Henway I heard, around the same time (mid-1980s) from my sister: "I know a man with snew in his blood." "What's snew?"... etc. Except when I tried that on people, they would just go "Dracula, right?" Elizium23 (talk) 05:23, 24 May 2023 (UTC)
- When does a war start?
- I was thinking the same thing, but I think there is an argument that the war starts when it is declared, while the fighting or battle may start later. -FH 126.96.36.199 16:20, 24 May 2023 (UTC)
- It can be argued whether it's when news arrives of the declaration. Though that should be ahead of the fleet (or simultaneous with it, de facto if not de jure).
- It's perhaps more message than action for WW2 in 1939, or action than message for the US.
- (For those who consider that the conflicts starting in 1931/1935/1937/whatever, and seemlessly became WW2 at some point up to or including 1941, you can hold to your own ordering of the requisite events.)
- Though if the act of starting the war involves the assasination of some visiting figure who forms part of a line of succession (hereditary royalty or constitutional figurehead of any other kind) then the simultaneity of the role passing on to their successor is a question that might need addressing... 188.8.131.52 17:46, 24 May 2023 (UTC)
So, a possible timeline in days: Day 0. Up High message sent. Day 1551. Up High message received, and 5 days of discussion follows. Day 3107. Reply received. Down Low message sent next day. Day 4659. Down Low message received, and 5 days of discussion follows. Day 6184. Too Slow message sent a month in advance. Day 6215. Reply received- too late. Day 7735. Too Slow message received. Proxima prepares for war. Day 7760. Invasion plan finalized. Fleet launched. Addon: Day 9317. Earth starts preparing for war. Day 9360. Earth launches fleet. Day 129044. Fleets meet. All crew members deceased. Day 129668. Truce called by Proxima. Day 129971. Truce called by Earth. Day 131219. Truce accepted by Earth. Day 131522. Truce accepted by Proxima. Day 132662. Randall Munroe IX sends Up High message. Day 134213. Up High message received... 184.108.40.206 23:59, 24 May 2023 (UTC)
Did you notice that even if the reply for "Down low" had been sent immediately, it would have never got to Earth before the "too slow" message was sent? Trolling at the finest level. 220.127.116.11 (talk) 13:07, 2 July 2023 (please sign your comments with ~~~~)
- ...yes, we did? "...Randall successfully pranks the aliens by sending the "too slow" message before their "Low-5" message can even arrive on Earth...". 18.104.22.168 17:01, 2 July 2023 (UTC)