The title text mentions a compromise bill that will change the flag, not removing the notification bar at the top to create the originally intended flag, but instead keeping the notification bar and changing the amount of battery displayed (39%) to 100%. The low battery status might imply that the country is low on resources. Randall has mentioned before that he cannot take screenshots seriously if the battery of the device is low in 1373: Screenshot.
This comic is a joke on "vexillology". The comic incorrectly refers to a status bar as "notification bar".
Makes me wonder why he was doing this at 5:48 pm.
--18.104.22.168 20:56, 25 March 2017 (UTC)
A vote for me is a vote for bread on every table and a 73% battery level until the end of time! jameslucas (" " / +) 14:02, 24 March 2017 (UTC)
Given that the design is a screenshot, the flag could be part of an existing logo, e.g. of a U.S. sport association.--22.214.171.124 14:15, 24 March 2017 (UTC)
The comic states "our NEW country" so I removed the theory it could be a new US flag.
The most recent sovereign state, according to Wikipedia, is South Sudan created in 2011 so we could assume Randall never intended to talk about a real-life country 126.96.36.199 14:25, 24 March 2017 (UTC)
- It could be referring to new country proposals by techno-libertarians and the like?  -Jules.LT (talk) 14:32, 24 March 2017 (UTC)
- for instance https://www.cnet.com/news/asgardia-will-be-a-new-nation-in-space-and-you-can-be-a-citizen/ WhiteDragon (talk) 14:44, 24 March 2017 (UTC)
Note that official flags have an aspect ratio of 3:2 (with a few exceptions, like Switzerland and Nepal). The proposed flag including the notification bar measures 474 x 316 pixels (3*158 x 2*158 pixels), following the standard. If one removes the notification bar the resulting flag is somewhat wider than the standard. 188.8.131.52 15:06, 24 March 2017 (UTC)
- Those "few" exceptions include 106 of the 189 or so sovereign states. Even that overstates the popularity of 3:2 since some nations have multiple different official flag specifications for different uses or users. --184.108.40.206 15:29, 24 March 2017 (UTC)
- When I measured it, I found it to be 314 pixels tall - about pi * 100, which I feel is no mistake. 220.127.116.11 18:04, 8 April 2017 (UTC)
According to Apple's own documentation, this kind of bar is referred to as a "status bar", and not a "notification bar". --Jonhaugen (talk) 15:28, 24 March 2017 (UTC)
- Key word: Apple. Notification bar is a term used more commonly in Android, largely from the time Android had a pull down notification tray and iOS didn't. 18.104.22.168 02:02, 25 March 2017 (UTC)
Since the screenshot is part of the editing process, I don't think this can be interpreted as a mistake. It probably is entirely deliberate. The joke relies on the fact that most of the times when this bar appears, it is a side effect of the way the relevant data (the rest of the image) has been obtained, rather than part of the information itself. Actually, not only can the bar be ignored most of the time, but this is so often true that some people may not pay any attention to it at all. The committee's mistake might not have been that they failed to understand that Randall actually meant for the bar to be there, they might have not noticed it at all (even more likely if they looked at the image in full screen on a similar device). 22.214.171.124 16:08, 24 March 2017 (UTC)
The real reason for firing him would most probably be that he made the committee and any decision making bodies up the chain look unprofessional. He may have missed it or intentionally trolled them, but it seems the status bar made it through the committee and all the way to becoming official without getting noticed. That sort of publicity will result in heads rolling, starting with the easiest target, the designer (depending on the state maybe literally, but if he was just fired it's probably not that type of system).--126.96.36.199 18:07, 24 March 2017 (UTC)
What kind of barbaric country still relies on 3G? It's like we're going back to the stone age!
I think this new flag represents a part of USA (3 states) that has either split with the rest due to the current president or are the three states that was left after the other 47 left. This makes sense with Randall's views of Trump and the colour stars and stripes is so clearly a reference to the Stars and Stripes also given Randall is from the states and as he was asked to make the flag. Maybe it is Massechusets, Conneticut and New York that had formed an independent country? ;-) --Kynde (talk) 19:30, 24 March 2017 (UTC)
- The United States of Macutny had better be prepared for a long war with the remaining USA over access to Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine. - These Are Not The Comments You Are Looking For (talk) 20:28, 25 March 2017 (UTC)
- I sure hope those are the states he picked! But also, Connecticut annexes Rhode Island. - Lieutenant Zipp
Is the notification bar a standard one for some OS or common system, or has Randall invented it? Probably not an interesting comment, but I'm curious if that layout actually exists. Would seem an awful waste of screen real-estate devoting a third of the bar to an almost meaningless "signal strength" metric -- 188.8.131.52 20:29, 24 March 2017 (UTC)
- The bar is the one redesigned in iOS 7. The off-white coloration, layout, and even the specific icons beside the battery display are taken from that interface. The issue with the wasted space of the cellular strength meter is even worse on an actual device, where the name of your service provider (or the word "iPad" on, well, an iPad) is also displayed at all times. ~AgentMuffin
A construction sheet for the XKCD 1815 flag (excluding notification bar)Locoluis (talk) 22:32, 25 March 2017 (UTC)
Has anybody noticed that the flag perfectly represents the overall politican division of the current US with the blue states on the coast, and the red states in the middle? 184.108.40.206 08:59, 27 March 2017 (UTC)
Is it just me but the 39% could be a take on the current approval rating of the US president and the 3G to the 3 branches of government?220.127.116.11 10:16, 27 March 2017 (UTC)
Could this also not be a dig at the hopelessly tech illiterate (mostly, in my humble experience iPhone users) who habitually take screenshots rather than saving an image to disk? And continue to do so even after it's pointed out to them that they don't need all that cruft. That saving to disk is so simple makes it doubly hilarious and vexing. --18.104.22.168 12:24, 27 March 2017 (UTC)
If the Netherlands (or insert country or state known for their "relaxedness" here) were to update their flags with a status bar they would 'obviously' choose 4:20 as their time ;) 22.214.171.124 13:53, 29 March 2017 (UTC)cdm
Any heraldry nerds want to take a crack at cleaning up my attempt to blazon the flag?
- Azure between two Mullets Argent on a Pale Gules fimbriated Argent a Mullet Argent; on a chief Argent all Sable: in dexter three Roundels two Annulets and the Letters "3G", in centre the Letters "5:48 PM", in sinister a Chevron turned bendwise sinister a Clock the Letters "39%" and a Battery turned sinister D5xtgr (talk) 01:36, 2 February 2018 (UTC)