2232: Hotel Room Party
|Hotel Room Party|
Title text: [proudly greeting the hotel manager at the door] "Did I do a good job?"
It is a common trope that really wild parties in hotel rooms, particularly by rock bands on tour, end up trashing that hotel room as crazy party goers break and spill things. Such parties are widely perceived to be very fun, because they got so out of control. In this comic, Cueball (together with Hairy, Ponytail, White Hat, Megan, and Blondie) is misunderstanding cause and effect as he plans to throw a party where you trash a hotel room. Instead of planning a wild party, he is planning to calmly and deliberately trash the hotel room by assigning people to do damage. Unlike a real wild party, this is unlikely to be fun to anyone but hardcore geeks. Also, because Cueball is so organized, he is also planning for maintenance and cleaning services to undo the damage, or at least make it easier to dispose of. Since what is shown of such parties is the aftermath, one could argue that leaving the damage is part of the point.
In actual trash-a-hotel-room parties the party goers are so hungover or tired afterward that they don't clean up but leave the damage. This often results in rock bands being charged large amounts of money after the fact for the hotel to do the repairs. For this reason, one would probably like the hotel to take as long as possible to find out, definitely not calling the manager to check that the room has been trashed appropriately as indicated in the title text.
In addition to rock bands, trashing of hotel rooms occurred in real life in the Tailhook scandal of 1991, where it was revealed at an earlier party naval officers cut down a wall between two hotel suites with a chainsaw. Trashing a home during a teenage party while parents are away, and the mad rush to clean up the damage/evidence before the parents return, is a common trope in teen movies.
- [Hairy, Ponytail, Cueball, White Hat, Megan, and Blondie are standing in a line. Cueball is raising his left hand with his pointer finger extended and is facing his left. He is also pointing to the right. The other five are facing Cueball.]
- Cueball: OK everyone, let's break into teams.
- Cueball: Katie, get the wire cutters and start disassembling the TV. You two can strip the wallpaper. Mike and I will work on shredding the mattress.
- Cueball: You, start shopping for maintenance and cleaning services. We don't want to leave the staff to deal with this.
- [Caption below the panel]:
- It's my first time throwing one of those parties where you trash a hotel room and I want to make sure I get it right.
- The title text to this comic originally read '[proudly greeting the hotel manager at the door] "Did I do aa good job?"', but was corrected shortly afterward.
- Cueball gives instructions to a 'Mike' and a 'Katie' while giving instructions. Since Megan is a name explain xkcd has assigned to her, and not one Randall has used more than a few times, any of the three women could be Katie. Similarly, Hairy and White Hat may not be called Mike in any other comic, and neither of them should be thought of generally as Mike.
add a comment! ⋅ add a topic (use sparingly)! ⋅ refresh comments!