586: Mission to Culture
|Mission to Culture
Title text: It can't be very MUCH money... they apparently can't even afford a sampler. I mean, with a little remixing, some of this could be kinda good!
Cueball wants to take Megan out for his idea of a cultural experience; a symphony. The inference is that Megan's culturally impoverished because "all she ever listens to is techno". After much griping on various levels, for instance complaining that all the other attendees are above sixty years old, she starts to get into the experience — sort of. The big 'cultural lesson' she (mis)gleans from the experience is similar to what a sporting aficionado would gain from watching a sports event. So it could be said that Cueball's mission to culture was a mission impossible in Megan's case.
Her observation regards the seating configuration of a typical modern orchestra, in which the violinists all sit audience-left, while the violists, cellists and bassists, with clearly larger instruments, are on the right. But it is not the size of an instrument that determines the payroll of a musician.
The title text is just icing on the cake. A sampler is an instrument frequently used in techno music that samples other sounds and plays them back, usually electronically altered. Remixing is a process, also often used in techno, of editing recorded music to get a different sound. Many classical pieces have had success as techno remixes. One example is Pachelbel's Canon in D major, referred to in the title text of 339: Classic.
- [Cueball is pulling Megan by her feet. She is holding onto the carpet, which visibly folds under her tug.]
- Cueball: We're getting some culture in you if it kills you.
- Megan: Don't wanna.
- [Cueball is pushing Megan at the front door, with steps leading down outside. Megan is curled up with both her feet and her hands up on the middle of the door, her back arching out towards Cueball.]
- Cueball: All you listen to is techno.
- Megan: But... the symphony?
- [Cueball and Megan stand in line between two other couples; A guy, who only has hair around his neck and a cane, and Hairbun stands behind them. A guy with a sailor cap and a woman with a big hair stands before them.]
- Megan: I think we're the only people here under 60.
- Cueball: Shhh.
- [The couple sit in the audience just before the concert.]
- Megan: The right side is definitely better.
- Cueball: Better?
- Megan: They've all got bigger instruments. I bet they make more money.
- Cueball: *Sigh*
add a comment! ⋅ add a topic (use sparingly)! ⋅ refresh comments!