Title text: You might want to bring your frost-sensitive plants in from the patio. The high-level aerosols may result in short-term cooling across the entire backyard.
Beret Guy seems to be using volcano seeds to grow a tiny volcano to fertilize Cueball's garden. In reality, volcanoes are caused by the pressure of magma (underground lava) from below the Earth's crust pushing up through it, not seeds.
Volcanic soil is generally fertile and replenishes depleted elements in the soil, just like commercial fertilizers. However, the process of eruption is destructive to whatever plants are presently in the garden, as Cueball points out. Beret Guy's announcement in the final panel resembles the voice-over from a nature documentary.
In the first panel, Beret Guy states that he made these seeds himself, presumably using his proven skill at exotic bioengineering. It is unclear whether his volcano is capable of self-propagating but, until his 'help' with maintaining the garden, there would probably be no particular risk of volcanic activity.
The title text alludes to the fact that sulfate aerosols from volcanic eruptions may cause a short-term cooling effect because the aerosols in the atmosphere block out energy from the sun. This expands on the comedy from a small scale volcano by adding small scale volcano effects. Realistically a small supply of aerosols would be blown away and dispersed by wind. Not to mention the fact that, of course, the currently flowing lava is potentially harmful to all plants near the garden anyway.
- [Cueball is standing, holding a trowel, in a vague outdoor area. Beret Guy is kneeling, one hand on the ground, as he carefully pours the contents of a small bag into a hole in the ground with the other.]
- Cueball: Thanks for the gardening help!
- Beret Guy: I made these seeds myself!
- [Beret Guy is now standing next to a small eruption coming from the ground.]
- [Beret Guy looks down on a knee-high volcano in full eruption. It produces a large plume above and smaller clouds above that, which are mainly drifting away from Beret Guy. Lava flows down from the top of the volcano.]
- Beret Guy: The infusion of nutrient-rich volcanic soil will revitalize your garden.
- [Beret Guy spread his arms out to the sides as he looks at the now waist-high volcano. The plume is much bigger, more lava is flowing from the top and there are flames on its sides. Cueball speaks from off-panel.]
- Cueball (off-panel): All my plants are on fire.
- Beret Guy: But soon, life will return to these slopes!
add a comment! ⋅ add a topic (use sparingly)! ⋅ refresh comments!