462: Freemanic Paracusia
Title text: It's amazing what it does for YouTube comments.
Paracusia is a form of hallucination that involves perceiving sounds without auditory stimulus.
Morgan Freeman is an American actor who may be best known as the character Red in The Shawshank Redemption, where he is also the narrator. He narrates because he is especially known for his soothing and mellow voice, which helps him amplify performances in minor parts, such as God in Bruce Almighty. He has been a narrator of many TV programs and also narrated the major film War of the Worlds where he did not play any other part.
The comic is a play on the combination of the two. The idea is that while reading a text, instead of hearing your own voice in your mind's ear, you substitute it with Freeman's voice, giving a new perspective on the contents of the text. Here, the voice of Morgan Freeman converts the most annoying possible thing on the web (penis enlargement advertisements) into a soothing meditation.
The title text suggests to apply this specifically on the mostly stupid comments on YouTube, like those found in 202: YouTube.
- [Cueball is sitting behind a desk with a computer.]
- Freemanic Paracusia: A disorder wherein you hear everything you read in the comforting voice of Morgan Freeman.
- [There is a thought bubble of Cueball's thoughts, within it is Morgan Freeman reading text.]
- Morgan Freeman: Why, you could enlarge your penis for cheap. My, my. Isn't that something.
add a comment! ⋅ add a topic (use sparingly)! ⋅ refresh comments!
Hi there! This is my first xkcd explanation attempt. Hope it's good enough.
- TED N E
One other thing - I can't seem to be able to redirect right from the list of all comics. -- TED N E (talk) (please sign your comments with ~~~~)
- Go here  and read the instructions.--22.214.171.124 10:11, 13 June 2013 (UTC)
Morgan Freeman's voice has a profound impact in one of the all time favourite movies "Shawshank Redemption", 126.96.36.199 (talk) (please sign your comments with ~~~~)
- Correct - this has now been included in a rephrased Morgan Freeman explain. That must be his most known part, and also a movie he narrates! Kynde (talk) 19:50, 7 July 2014 (UTC)
Good News Everyone! I've invented a device that will make you subconsciously hear this comment in Professor Farnsworth's voice! -Pennpenn 188.8.131.52 02:28, 21 January 2015 (UTC)
Man morgan freeman looks creepy without eyes - 184.108.40.206 07:35, 14 August 2017 (UTC)